#BuckFiftyADay Since March, 2014

#BuckFiftyADay Since March, 2014

Saturday, January 24, 2009

To the Bridge (Long Run Friday Set List)

I'm a day late with my Long Run Friday song-list, but here 'tis. This week, I relied on the "Party Shuffle" mechanism on Itunes. After hitting refresh a good dozen times, I was satisifed that these songs would get me through a 15 mile run to the Mantoloking Bridge and Back.

Training is getting better. As I glanced at my reflection in the Martell's Tiki Bar windows on the Point Pleasant boardwalk, I thought I looked a lot more like a runner than I looked three weeks ago. Better stride, less jiggle.

The home stretch was difficult, as always, and the thought of tacking another 11 miles onto this distance, right now, seems ridiculous. From doing this five times before, I know that will change if I stick to the program. A month from now, as I begin to stretch long runs to 20 miles and beyond, it won't seem this bad.

During my two-hour, 10-minute journey today I thought a lot about baseball and how I'm starting to fall back in love with the game. I openly admit, the steroid mess hit me hard, probably because I (and many of my colleagues) knew perfectly well what was going on, and beat my head against the wall trying to figure out the best way to tell the story to America. In 2000, two years after the Mac and Sammy Freak Show Tour, I got this story published in ESPN The Magazine and it barely caused a ripple. At that point, even though I knew there'd come a day when this was the biggest story in baseball, I threw in the towel and basically became disgusted with the game.

But, finally, I'm getting over it. I have to credit having two sons who love baseball with the re-kindling that's going on. Working with them on the skills of the game, talking about our favorite players (this guy is the current guy in our house), basically, re-living my childhood, when the game was EVERYTHING, is helping me move on. I am really looking forward to spring training this year. And I haven't said that in a number of years.

Anyway, here's the music that moved me (and a few comments)...

Cigarette Eyes, Matt Costa...if you don't know Matt Costa, you must check him out.
If We Can Land A Man On The Moon, Surely I Can Win Your Heart, Beulah
Pretty Pink Rose, Ashton Allen
The Road, Jackson Browne...memories of Al Bartello singing this in the West Essex Talent Show.
Born To Run (live), Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band...far from my favorite Bruce tune.
The First Time, U2
The Harder They Come, Jimmy Cliff...the first song on a sublime mix tape I made in college, called Old, New, Borrowed and Blue...could've been called, "Music to Beer Pong To."
Hello It's Late, Stone Temple Pilots
Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head, Ben Folds...Ben does Burt Bacharach, really good stuff.
Leah, Bruce Springsteen...wish I could play this on my acoustic, dammit.
Airlift, The Connells
House Of Sand, Simon Lynge
Los Angeles, Counting Crows...beware, my party shuffle is about to go into Adam Duritz Overload.
Minutes To Memories, John Mellencamp...the only Cougar song on my ipod.
Far Far Away From My Heart, BoDeans
I Need Direction, Teenage Fanclub...Love this band and everything they sing.
Mr. Jones (acoustic, live), Counting Crows...ok, this CC song, I can listen to every day.
Soon We'll Be Found, Sia...weird for a running mix, but what a voice.
No Surrender (live acoustic), Bruce Springsteen...this song once made me cry.
It's Different For Girls (Live), Joe Jackson...sixth and Seventh grade memories, how's that possible?
Somebody's Baby (Live acoustic), Jackson Browne...Fast Times scene, anyone?
Usually, Traschan Sinatras...a 90s MetroSexual band introduced to me by A's GM Billy Beane.
When I Dream of Michelangelo, Counting Crows...ok, enough.
He Said, She Said, Bell X1
Listen to Me Girl, Smithereens...like baseball, I'm rekindling with the Smithereens lately.
Shooting Star, Elliott Smith...this dude died too soon, great songwriter, guitarist.
What If We Give It Away?, REM...anyone who went to college in the South in the 80s loves REM, or they do not hang with me.
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down, Elvis Costello
Love Needs A Heart, Jackson Browne
Daring Night, Van Morrison...sing it, Van, bring me home.
Used To Love Her, Guns N Roses...a smile to my face at the end of a looooooooooong run.

No comments: